I'm finally officially here in Iraq. I got here Sunday night and after a few hours I was able to check into my new C.H.U. (Conex Housing Unit). If my recollection of history serves me right Abraham walked these grounds (Nehemiah 9:7). Defense Secretary Gates also recently visited this area.
"The secretary began his Iraq trip with a visit to a command post in Talil, where U.S. troops are serving mainly as advisers to Iraqi forces. The advisory unit in Talil is a prototype for U.S. forces as they shift from front-line combat to support roles." (AP)
My CHU came with some basic furniture; bed, nightstand, lamp, A/C !!! and a locker. I took a really awesome nap this afternoon, I hadn't slept that well in a long time.
I started up a internet account (expensive) yesterday and I was able to talk to my wife for an extended period of time. I was also able to see my son. It is nice to be able to log onto the internet pretty much anytime of the day and talk to Roxann.
I'm real close to the PX, Chow Hall and other facilities which makes it nice. I think the furthest I have to walk is about 15 minutes.
The Chow Hall has a wide selection of foods to choose from. Just to name a few, they have the Main Line, Taco Bar, Salad Bar, Short Order (Fast Food), Dessert Bar, Healthy Bar and Large Selection of Drinks. I had a chicken taco, baked potato with cheese sauce, sweet tea, orange juice, Gatorade, chocolate moose pie and ice cream for dinner.
Things are going good but I'm definitely missing home.
Tuesday, July 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment